Probationary Firefighter – Pembroke – 2021
If you are physically fit, willing to help others and a team oriented individual, a career with the City of Pembroke Fire Department is an excellent opportunity.
Along with firefighting duties, your responsibilities also include fire prevention and education, rescue work, medical assist calls, hazardous materials situations, maintaining apparatus and equipment and proficiency in radio communications.
Living and working together in close quarters at the fire station and responsibility for station maintenance are aspects of this position. Cleaning and inspecting of personal protective equipment, vehicle maintenance, housekeeping and training take a significant amount of time for this firefighter.
Firefighters depend on each other to safely and successfully perform their duties; thus, teamwork is of the utmost importance. Firefighting is not a “9 to 5” job. It is a public service and requires working on days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
The City of Pembroke provides an excellent wage and benefit package.
- Grade 12 diploma or acceptable equivalent in education
- Pre-entry Firefighter Certification will be considered an asset
- N.F.P.A. 1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 is a requirement for application
- Previous experience and/or training in firefighting, emergency medical response or a licensed trade
- Experience in coaching, counseling or in public education is considered an asset
- Must have a valid Ontario class DZ license and maintained a satisfactory driving record
- Applicants selected to move forward will be required to attend at the Pembroke Fire
- Department and successfully complete written aptitude testing by Firefighter Services of Ontario
- Applicants must complete a CPAT test or have completed in the past 12 months
- Must meet NFPA prescribed hearing and visual requirements (uncorrected acuity 20/100 binocular, corrected acuity 20/30 binocular and colour vision safe for firefighting – tested)
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: customer focus, results orientation, integrity and teamwork