Probationary Firefighter – Hamilton – 2020
Do you have a desire to help keep your community Healthy and Safe? The Hamilton Fire Department is looking for individuals who have and can demonstrate the personal values of trust, honesty, integrity, compassion and empathy and can work as part of a team. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to perform a number of tasks including: fire protection and rescue services, fire inspection and public education within established policies and guidelines. With our continued commitment to an inclusive workforce, one of the strengths of our Department is the diversity of our people. We encourage you to join the Hamilton Fire Department as a Probationary Firefighter and experience one of the most rewarding, engaging and exciting careers you could choose.
Duties and Responsibilities
Performs fire ground operations under the direction of a Supervisor, search for, rescuing and evacuating individuals, protecting exposures, confining, controlling and extinguishing the fire so that lives are protected, salvaging and overhauling the structure and its contents to ensure property loss is minimized, and performs these activities in accordance with department policies and procedures.
Performs rescue operations through, a primary and secondary search, stabilizing the scene and the victims’ injuries, and providing a means of egress so that the victim is moved to an area of safety while preventing injury to the rescuer or additional injuries to the victim. Applies first aid to stabilize the patients’ condition and prepares the patients for transport to medical care facilities.
Controls hazardous materials to prevent injury or loss of life and to minimize property and environmental damage by the elimination, isolation or reduction of hazardous materials.
Operates fire apparatus within the structure of the Highway Traffic Act and within the vehicle’s design parameters so that the apparatus is used safely and efficiently.
Inspects fire apparatus and equipment to ensure at a level of response and readiness, so that equipment life is extended, safety is ensured, and equipment operates properly.
Participates in fire safety inspections, including checking for fire hazards, fire protection systems, fire detection systems, and access and serviceability of fire department connections, so that a general level of safety can be maintained within a community.
Performs station duties by answering telephones and taking messages, cleaning and maintaining the station so they remain clean and functional, receiving and conducting inventory of station supplies, and performs these activities in accordance with department policies and procedures.
Performs public relations such as providing public assistance, making presentations, participating in special activities, performing demonstrations and projecting a professional image while engaging the community keeping in mind the primary goal of educating the public in fire safety.
Performs communication duties including operating mobile and portable radios, computers and other communications equipment so that required messages are transmitted or received in accordance with department policies and procedures.
Assists with the development of pre-fire plans by conducting a survey of the structure and property, preparing a sketch with measurements, determining the type and location of hazardous material, the locations of fire protection systems and utility shutoffs; the type and density of occupancy and planning attack and evacuation routes and fire suppression procedures so that all pertinent information is available to fire suppression personnel for determining initial response and incident command.
Performs various administrative duties, so that all related records and required documents are completed, maintained and all relevant legislation is complied with, to ensure overall efficient operation of the organization.
Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
1. Grade 12 or approved equivalent.
2. Must be able to work in a highly structured work environment and follow rules, regulations and procedures of the Hamilton Fire Department.
3. Must be capable of learning and performing the various methods and techniques used in extinguishing and preventing fires and in rescue techniques.
4. Ability to conduct routine and cleaning of all types of apparatus and equipment used.
5. Ability to communicate in English both orally and written.
6. Have the ability to make decisions and to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations.
7. Must possess and maintain the physical strength and agility to perform arduous work and to competently operate all firefighting/rescue apparatus and equipment and all safety equipment under all types of adverse conditions frequently for prolonged periods of time.
8. Must have the ability to acquire a general knowledge of hazardous materials, poisonous substances, arson detection, life safety systems and other job-related subjects and be familiar with the procedures associated with these subjects.
9. Must possess the ability to work within confined spaces or high places.
10. Must be able to obtain a valid fitness certificate and assessment upon request at your own expense.
11. Must possess and maintain current certification in “Standard” First Aid with CPR Level “C”. (This must be clearly identified on your resume.) All “Standard” First Aid certificates must be issued by a training agency recognized by the Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB). Please refer to the WSIB website www.wsib.on.ca for approved providers. At time of assessment (which could be as early as days after the posting closes), you will be asked to provide “proof” that you possess the required certificate(s).
12. Must be available to work rotating shifts.
13. Must possess a valid Class DZ Ontario Driver’s Licence with zero demerit points and satisfactory to the City of Hamilton at time of application and must be maintained throughout the entire process.