Probationary Firefighter – Cambridge – 2023
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working within a team environment to “Save Lives, Prevent Injury, Protect Property” through emergency response and public fire and life safety duties
- Responsible for firefighting entailing the combating, extinguishing and preventing of fires, and the saving of life and property
- Rapidly and efficiently performing various duties under emergency conditions frequently involving considerable hazard and strenuous physical exertion
- Responding to fire alarms or other emergencies, laying and connecting hose, directing water streams, and using extinguishers and all other department equipment necessary for the efficient performance of the duties
- Responsible for station maintenance and upkeep of firefighting equipment and fire department property
- Responsible for upgrading and maintaining skills/knowledge and physical requirements to current standards
- Drives and/or operates any vehicle or equipment as assigned
- Provides excellent customer service as well as being a leader in public fire and life safety education through participation in public relations projects involving visits, displays, lectures, demonstrations, parades, etc.
- Assists with on-the-job training of other firefighters
- Performs inspections and assessments related to fire prevention duties
- Adheres to all Federal, Provincial and Municipal Laws, Regulations, By-laws as well as all departmental and Corporate Policies and Procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned
High school Grade 12 diploma or equivalent (minimum). We actively seek candidates who possess skills, certifications and education that are over and above our minimum requirements.
Additional courses, education or training that are related to fire or emergency services would be considered definite assets. These include post-secondary education, trades qualifications or fire protection engineering programs.
Required Qualifications to apply:
- 18 years of age or older and legally entitled to work in Canada (citizen/landed immigrant)
- Free of any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted. Possess a satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening. Please note that successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last thirty (30) days as a condition of employment
- Speak, read and write English fluently and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding, high pressure. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Possess a current First Responder Certificate or higher with HCP-level CPR and AED
- Must possess a valid Ontario Class "D" Driver's License with a "Z" air brake endorsement. Provision of a driver’s abstract with fewer than three CVOR demerit points and/or infractions for three years within the last thirty (30) days from when requested
- Must possess certificates from the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (www.ofai.ca) Candidate Testing Services - Stages 1, 2, 3 and Swim Test maintained current throughout the recruitment and selection process
- Must satisfactorily meet the vision/hearing as per the OFAI Standards
- Candidates must meet the criteria required by the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM) firefighter certification in accordance with O. Reg. 343/22 Firefighter Certification. Subject to the review of CFD, applicants will normally have completed education or gained experience which will meet the criteria of the OFMEM within one of the following scenarios:
- Have completed a pre-Service Firefighter Education & Training Program Certification recognized by the OFMEM that includes NFPA1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 certification.
- Has been NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 certified from an accredited program from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or the Pro Board.
- Has completed OFM curriculum components 1, 2 and 3 with examination certificate and has received NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 certification.
- Has received “grandfather” status / certification as a firefighter from the Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal in accordance with O. Reg 343/22 Firefighter Certification.
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)
- Demonstrated community service involvement
- NFPA 1002 Pumper Operations certification is considered an asset
We value skills or experiences such as previous firefighting or emergency service experience, certifications such as AEMCA or other NFPA standards, coaching and volunteer work, additional languages, driving heavy vehicles and the operation of heavy equipment.
No cover letter is required. Resumes must be in the following format to be considered:
- Work Experience
- General Education
- Fire Related Education and Courses
- Community Involvement or Volunteer Experience
Important Information: Due to the high volume of applicants received for Fire Fighter, the City of Cambridge will not be responding to individual inquiries during or after the recruitment process. Please do not call the City, Human Resources Division or the Fire Department. Those candidates selected for interview will be contacted accordingly.