Probationary Firefighter – Brockville – 2021
This recruitment process may be used to create an eligibility list for possible future probationary firefighter vacancies within the City of Brockville fire department.
Under the direction of a Captain, you will be a team player responsible for all fire suppression activities that are necessary to save life and property, rescue/extrication operations and provide medical assistance in an emergency environment. You will conduct routine maintenance of firefighting vehicles, facilities, and equipment. You focus on community service while performing fire safety, education and inspections of properties and equipment for fire hazards. You will follow instructions and orders from superior officers in action, maintenance, and training situations. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Eighteen (18) years of age or older by application deadline and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma OSSD (Grade 12) or academic equivalent diploma.
- Have successfully completed ONE of the following:
- Pre-service Firefighter education and training program certificate from a recognized institution that includes NFPA1001 Firefighter I & II certification: or
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter I and II certification from an accredited program from a recognized institution, (proof of IFSAC or ProBoard seal required); or
- A Letter of Compliance with NFPA Standards from the Ontario Fire Marshal's Office (Grandfathering) will be accepted in lieu of seals.
- Possess a current, valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Service certificate of Stage One, Stage Two Hearing, Stage Two Vision, Stage Two Encapsulated Treadmill Test and Stage Three. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic consideration will be given to the availability of OFAI Testing Services and certificates for all stages will be required by time of hire.
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate with Level C CPR (Must be kept valid while active in the recruitment process).
- Valid Class "D" Ontario Driver’s Licence with "Z" endorsement.
- Meet the medical standards (NFPA 1582: Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments) at the time of a medical examination.
- Professional and/or Volunteer Firefighting experience.
- University Degree or College Diploma.
- Trade Apprenticeship or Certification (i.e., Electrician, Plumber, Mechanic, Construction, etc.)
- Commitment to volunteerism and community involvement as demonstrated by experience volunteering in social/civil/community events and initiatives, non-profit organizations, counselling, crisis intervention.
- Commitment to personal and professional development and in continuing training and education through ongoing learning.
- Training and Experience operating heavy vehicles (for example: trucks, tractor trailers, buses).
Please submit your resume and supporting documentation as one PDF file only. For ease of review, applicants must submit qualifications in the following order:
- Cover Letter & Resume
- Valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services certificates for Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three.
- NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I and II, IFSAC or Pro Board Certificate, Proof of Grandfathering
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C Certificate