Firefighter – Thorold – 2019
We invite you to become a key member of one of our city’s emergency services and experience the rewards of individual and team excellence.
All applications must be submitted to Firefighter Services of Ontario no later than Saturday, September 14, 2019. The application processing fee is $30. Application packages will be collected by Firefighter Services of Ontario upon successful completion of all six tests in one day on Saturday, September 14, 2019. The application check-list is available at www.fireontario.com. Late applications will not be accepted.
Please direct all inquiries to [email protected] Any costs associated with the Fire Fighter Services of Ontario Screening and application process are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Provide an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or the equivalent;
- Provide a valid Firefighter Services of Ontario certificate indicating successful completion of all six tests in one day, dated on or after March 14,
- Provide proof of a valid First Aid/CPR – minimum Level C (Internal applicants please contact the Administrative Assistant at Station 1 for confirmation of completion);
- Provide proof of a valid Class Ontario class D with Z endorsement Driver’s License or equivalent;
- Provide a drivers’ abstract (dated within 30 days) to the Corporation at the time of a conditional job offer;
- Possess superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work co-operatively as a member of an effective and professional team;
- Have a strong desire to serve the community;
- Previous experience in fire suppression, construction, trades mechanical, emergency medical, large vehicle operation, fire prevention (please define if experience is full-time/part-time/seasonal).
- Possess the ability and willingness to follow instructions promptly and efficiently and have a strong work ethic.
- A Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check is required, at the candidate’s expense, to be submitted at the time of conditional job.
- University degree in any discipline (copy to be included with application package);
- Community College diploma in any discipline (copy to be included with application package);
- Trade Certification in any discipline recognized by the Ontario College of Trades (copy to be included with application package);
- Provide proof of NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I and II certifications from an accredited program from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Services Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or Pro Board (must be complete with seals);
- Documented proof of 1200 hours of fire service;
- EMCA Designation (copy to be included with application package);
- Community Service involvement (please define role and commitment level g., yearly, monthly, weekly).
The Firefighter Services of Ontario Screening will include the following:
- Clinical Assessment
- CPS Aptitude Examination
- Medical Examination (Vision and Hearing)
- Tread Water Test
- Acrophobia Test
You must register for the above date of the Firefighter Services of Ontario Tests by visiting https://register.fireontario.com/. The registration deadline is Friday, August 30th at 4:00PM Eastern Standard Time.
Please note: All six (6) components of the Screening must be completed in one (1) day. If applicants have valid certificates dated within six (6) months of the test date (all six tests on or after March 14, 2019), please contact Firefighter Services of Ontario at [email protected] to confirm your eligibility and submission of required documentation. Candidates are responsible for ensuring that their certificates are acceptable for The City of Thorold 2019 Fire Fighter Recruitment.
To book a CPAT orientation, or to purchase the CPS prep manual, please email [email protected]
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those advancing through the selection process will be contacted. All contact with candidates will be made through e- mail.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
Information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes.