Firefighter – Saanich – 2022
Applications are now being accepted for future recruit Fire Fighter positions. Selected candidates will be placed in an eligibility pool for future positions. Applicants must be in good health, be able to meet established medical and academic standards, qualify in essential job function and aptitude tests, and have demonstrated the ability to work in a team environment.
- Proof of Grade 12 or Equivalent
- NFPA 1001, Firefighter Level I and II with appropriate IFSAC or Pro Board Seals
- Current driver's abstract (dated no more than 60 days prior to the application closing date). The record should demonstrate responsible and safe driving behavior. Note:
- Infractions on your driver's abstract within the last five years for driving under the influence (DUI) will eliminate applicants from consideration;
- More than six points may eliminate an application from further consideration;
- A 24-hour roadside prohibition within the last two years may eliminate an applicant from further consideration.
- Valid Class 3 Driver's License with air brake endorsement or equivalent for vehicles with more than two axles (automatic transmission is accepted). Equivalent licenses from other Canadian provinces or territories are acceptable. (Contact B.C. Driver Licensing for equivalency clarification at 1-250-978-8300.)
- Police Information Check (PIC), with Vulnerable Sector check, from the police department serving the area the applicant resides in dated within 6 months of the posted date of the competition or a receipt showing that one has been requested. Since fire fighters are in a position of trust, applicants cannot have any criminal charges or convictions that are related to the duties of the position for which you have not received a pardon. You must be open, honest and willing to disclose all information pertaining to this record check.
- Valid BC Emergency Medical Assistance Licensing Board (EMALB) Licence in one of the following:
- First Responder (FR) with schedule two endorsements
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR)
- Primary Care Paramedic (PCP)
- Advance Care Paramedic (ACP)
- Legal entitlement to work in Canada must be shown by submitting a clear copy of one of the following:
- Canadian birth certificate
- Canadian passport
- Current Permanent Resident Card
- Current Landed Immigrant Card
Note: A work visa is not acceptable
- Vision and hearing that meet the criteria in *NFPA 1582 chapter 6:
- Color vision safe
- 20/30 corrected binocular vision and 20/100 uncorrected binocular vision or better
- Normal hearing without artificial aids
*Applicants will be assessed during the medical screening (stage 6) for these requirements.
- Successful completion of the University of Victoria Fire Fighter Fitness Test firetest.ca or University of Alberta Fire Fighter Fitness Test https://www.ualberta.ca/kinesiology-sport-recreation/research/centres-and- units/firefighter-fitness-testing.html
dated within 1 year of the posted date of the application.
Although not a requirement for the application, successful completion of this testing is a requirement for those candidates selected to be placed in the Saanich Fire Department Fire Fighter Eligibility Pool at Stage 5 of the recruitment process.
These additional skills and experiences will enhance your application but do not replace the required qualifications:
- Completion of other fire/rescue service-related courses or programs. (We do not endorse any course or program.)
- Practical experience transferable to areas of firefighting:
- Experience/training in emergency services: fire, police, coast guard, EMS, military, search and rescue and forest fire service
- Construction or mechanical related trades
- Heavy equipment operator, truck driving tandem axle vehicles with a Class 1, 2 or 3 license
- Advanced medical or first aid training (FR, EMR, PCP/ACP, EMT, Nursing)
- Valid Class 4 C. Driver's License
- Academic studies – college/university
- Knowledge of different cultures/fluency in languages other than English / travel experience
- Coaching, teaching or instructing experience
- Ability to swim and related lifesaving and rescue certificates
- Volunteer experience and community involvement
- Demonstrated athletic achievements
- Knowledge and ability to work effectively with computers, programs and software
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment