Firefighter – Prince George – 2022
Prince George Fire Rescue Services is seeking exceptionally trained, highly motivated individuals to join our team of professional Firefighters. Please refer to the information below to submit your application by November 7, 2022.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (e.g. Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, etc.).
- High school graduation.
- Completion of the NFPA 1001 Levels 1 and 2 (IFSAC accredited) standard. See www.ifsac.org for a list of approved fire academies.
- Physically fit and able to pass both the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and the Firefighter Medical Examination (NFPA 1582 standard).
- A proven history of satisfactory job performance.
- Valid B.C. driver's license, Class 3 with air brake endorsement.
- Candidates from outside of B.C. must be licensed to drive a truck with more than two axles. Applicants are required to provide proof of the B.C. equivalency along with their application package.
- A driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. More than six points within the last three years may eliminate a candidate from further consideration.
- No summary convictions for a criminal offense related to the job of Firefighter.
- Current Occupational First Aid Level 3 or First Responder Level 3 certificate.
- Demonstrated commitment to a fit and healthy lifestyle.
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) BC License or Primary Care Paramedic (PCP).
- Candidates with certification from outside BC must provide evidence of commencing the equivalency process with the EMA Licensing Board of British Columbia, at the time of application.
- Successful completion of a minimum of one year of post-secondary education (30 credits) or completion of two years in a recognized apprenticeship program.
- Current technician-level certification in any of the following specialty areas:
- Hazardous Materials
- High Angle Rescue
- Swift Water Rescue
- Ice Rescue
- Confined Space Entry
- Other fire service-related training such as:
- Fire Service Instructor
- Fire and Safety Educator
- Fire Inspector
- NFPA 1006 Technical Rescue Awareness or equivalent
- Incident Command System (ICS) courses
- Wildland Firefighting S100, SPP-WFF Wildland Firefighter or equivalent
- Previous firefighting experience (paid or volunteer)
As part of your application package, copies of numerous documents are required. The application form clearly identifies what must be attached by using an asterisk (*) and bolded font.
- FAILURE TO INCLUDE COPIES OF ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL ELIMINATE YOU FROM CONSIDERATION FOR THIS COMPETITION.
For your convenience, an application checklist is also available on our website. Take your time and ensure all copies are included in your application package and that they are in the order of the checklist before you submit it. Submissions received after the closing date will not be considered.
Our recruitment process is comprised of a number of different steps and will be completed by the end of March so that our first class of Probationary Firefighters can begin employment in Spring 2023.
- CANDIDATES MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR TESTING ON JANUARY 7, 2023 AND INTERVIEWS BETWEEN FEBRUARY 13 AND MARCH 1, 2023.
Testing and interview dates are not flexible. Candidates are advised that all costs associated with the competition, including travel costs, if applicable, and testing fees, will be their own responsibility.
Regular updates on the status of the competition will be posted on our website. Candidates are strongly encouraged to check this site for information rather than phoning the City. The steps in our recruitment process include:
- Application Review
- Applications will be reviewed for minimum and preferred qualifications, and for completeness of the application package. Candidates who are referred for testing can expect to be contacted by the week of December 12, 2022.
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in the written aptitude and psychometric testing which will be administered online. The testing is scheduled on Saturday January 7, 2023.
- Physical Assessment
- Candidates will be required to complete the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT). CPAT certificates issued within 12 months of the interview date will be considered valid.
- Candidate’s qualifications and test scores will be used to establish a shortlist. These candidates will be invited to participate in an interview. Interviews will take place between February 13 and March 1, 2023.
- Reference Checks
- Each candidate is required to provied three references.
- Proof of Vaccination
- The City of Prince George requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a mandatory condition of employment. Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.
- Medical Examination
- At the time of offer, candidates will be required to visit an approved physician to complete a Firefighter Medical Examination, as a condition of employment.
- Eligibility List
- An Eligibility List will be established to fill anticipated vacancies. The number of candidates placed on the list and the duration of the list are at the City’s discretion. Start dates will vary depending on staffing needs. Candidates placed on the Eligibility List will be required to ensure all certificates and licenses are kept current. If more than twelve months has elapsed since you passed the CPAT, you will be required to complete another examination at your own expense before you are hired.