Firefighter – Prince George – 2019
The City of Prince George is seeking exceptionally trained, highly motivated individuals to join its team of professional firefighters. The City's fire department serves a population of 75,000 citizens and responds to an average of 5,000 calls each year. Prince George Fire and Rescue Services is seeking to establish an eligibility list to fill a number of vacancies anticipated to occur over the next two years with a potential start date for the first group of recruits in the fall of 2019.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Secondary School graduate.
- Certified National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 Levels 1 and 2 standard from an approved fire academy.
- Physically fit and able to pass the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and the Firefighter Medical Examination (NFPA 1582 standard) .
- Have a proven history of satisfactory job performance.
- Proof of valid Class 3 BC driver's license with air brake endorsement or proof of the BC Driver's License Equivalency.
- Driving record demonstrating safe driving behaviour. Candidates with six or more demerit points received (within the last three years) will not be considered.
- No summary convictions for criminal offenses related to the job of firefighter.
- Current Occupational First Aid Level 3 or First Responder Level 3 certificate.
- Demonstrated commitment to a fit and healthy lifestyle.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) certificate. Candidates certified from outside BC must provide evidence of commencing the equivalency process with the EMA Licensing Board of British Columbia at the time of application.
- Successful completion of one year of post-secondary education (30 credit minimum), or completion of two years in a recognized apprenticeship program.
- Current technician-level certification in any of the following specialty areas:
- Hazardous Materials
- High Angle Rescue
- Swift Water Rescue
- Ice Rescue
- Confined Space Entry
- Other fire service-related training such as:
- Fire Service Instructor
- Fire and Safety Educator
- Fire Inspector
- Previous firefighting experience (paid or volunteer)