Firefighter – Orangeville – 2018
The Town of Orangeville and the Orangeville Fire Services has an opening for one full-time Firefighter position. Working in an Incident Command System, the Firefighter’s role is to protect life and property through firefighting, emergency medical and other types of emergency incidents, often performed under conditions which require strenuous physical exertion. Firefighters are also expected to provide excellent customer service and to be leaders in public fire safety education.
Firefighters are expected to maintain a high standard of professionalism, solve problems, work as part of a dynamic team, and possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Teamwork is very important; firefighters work together in close quarters throughout their shift. This requires all team members to depend on each other to perform their duties successfully, whether having to share routine tasks at the fire station, providing services at an emergency scene, or providing service assistance to other agencies and/or public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to a variety of emergency situations including but not limited to fires, medical calls, motor vehicle accidents, assisting police or outside agencies, and mutual aid to other fire departments
- Training for emergency responses
- Driving/operating emergency vehicles and equipment
- Apparatus, station and equipment maintenance
- Fire prevention and education activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Have successfully completed ONE of the following:
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter I & Firefighter II certified and presently working as a full-time/volunteer/part-time/paid on call firefighter with a municipal fire department as a structural firefighter; or
- Five (5) years’ experience as a volunteer/part-time/paid on call firefighter with a municipal fire department; or
- Full-time firefighting experience with a municipal fire department coupled with related experience and qualifications.
Other minimum qualifications include:
- NFPA 1002 Pump Operation or Ontario Fire College Pumper Operations Certification or equivalent
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or academic equivalent
- Valid and unrestricted Ontario class “D” driver’s license with a “Z” air brake endorsement
- Valid C.P.R. and Standard First Aid Certificate – Healthcare Provider
- Ability to solve problems quickly
- Ability to work as part of a team and possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and strong written and verbal communication skills
The following qualifications are considered assets:
- Trade apprenticeship or certification
- Emergency First Responders Certification
- Other specialized emergency response training
Applicants will please note that they are to clearly indicate their qualifications as relates to the minimum requirements listed above in their cover letter. Failure to do so will result in their application not being considered for this recruitment.
As part of the recruitment process, applicants who are selected to move forward will be required to complete a medical and physical screening to determine fitness to carry out the duties required for the position. Applicants will be responsible for any costs incurred.
Selected candidates must be available for interviews from January 24 – 25, 2019. Candidates selected for medical and physical screenings must be available from February 1 – 3, 2019 and candidates selected for final interviews must be available from February 25 – 26, 2019. The projected start date for the successful candidate is April 1, 2019.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 12 p.m. on December 17, 2018. Applications may be submitted online, emailed to [email protected], or submitted in person to the Town Hall. If submitting a resume via email, please quote the job title in the subject line. Please submit only one application using one of the above application methods. Please note that the Town of Orangeville is unable to return any follow-up emails or phone calls regarding this position.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Questions about this collection should be directed to the attention of the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.