Firefighter – New Westminster (BC) – 2024
Located at the centre of Metro Vancouver, the City of New Westminster delivers a broad spectrum of urban services to over 82,590 residents. We’ve earned a proud reputation for civic leadership, service delivery and outstanding employee relations. The City of New Westminster is recognized throughout North America as a customer-focused, flexible, innovative and diverse organization that works to improve the quality of life of city residents.
New Westminster Fire & Rescue Services is one of the oldest fire departments in British Columbia. We are dedicated to being on the forefront of technology, fire suppression methods, medical care as well as dangerous goods response and technical rescue. Our emphasis on diversity, honour, respect and teamwork helps us achieve our goals. By joining New Westminster Fire & Rescue Services, you will be dedicated to providing fire protection to life and property as well as providing other rescue and safety services.
We’re recruiting for highly motivated and adaptable individuals who are interested in pursuing a challenging, exciting and rewarding career as a Firefighter to join our team. In addition to current vacancies we are looking to hire up to 15 candidates, however, we will also supplement our eligibility list for future vacancies that arise within one year.
- High School Graduation or equivalent (i.e. GED).
- Valid Class 3 Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement or equivalent for vehicles with more than two axles (automatic transmission is accepted). Current copy of driver’s license. (*See below for more information*)
- Current driver’s abstract dated no more than 30 days prior to the application closing date.
- At least 20/30 corrected binocular vision or at least 20/100 uncorrected binocular vision and satisfactory colour and peripheral vision.
Normal hearing without artificial aids.
- No criminal convictions related to the position of firefighter.
- A Police Information Check with a Vulnerable Sector Check will be required through the recruitment process.
- Candidates must reside within a twenty-four (24) kilometer radius of New Westminster city limits.
- Minimum two years of accumulated work experience after high school (equivalent of full-time hours).
- Fluent in English (oral and written).
- Successful completion of an approved Firefighter Training Program, NFPA 1001 Levels I & II or approved equivalent.
- Post-secondary education and/or completion of Level 1 Trades Apprenticeship. Military training and qualifications may be recognized as post-secondary credits on a case-by-case basis.
- Valid BC Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board License in one of the following: First Responder Level III with AED and Spinal Endorsements OR Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) OR Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) OR Advance Care Paramedic (ACP) OR other medical qualifications.
- Additional Fire Service related courses and fire related work experience (i.e. building construction, mechanical, heavy equipment operations, etc.).
- Ability to swim and related life-saving certificates.
- Fluency in a second language (oral and/or written).
- Computer literacy (i.e. proficiency in Microsoft Office and/or other common software applications).
- Community involvement and volunteer experience.