Firefighter Eligibility List – Campbell River – 2019
The City of Campbell River is seeking to create a firefighter eligibility list in order to fill any upcoming vacancies, or short / long-term absences within the Fire Services Division.
As a firefighter, reporting to a captain, you would perform a wide variety of technical tasks in support of the emergency rescue operations, fire suppression, specialized operations, hazardous materials and prevention functions. You would also perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the fire department.
The starting hourly rate of pay for this IAFF bargaining unit position is $31.578.
Please see the attached documents that include the application process, application checklist (to be included in your application) and recruitment information documentation, which lists the schedule of steps in the selection process.
- Complete and include this checklist (page 2 of 3 only)
- Cover letter – Outlining how your skills and experiences fit into the fire service, and why you are interested in the CRFD specifically (1-2 pages)
- Resume – Clearing showing your education and work experience. It shall clearly list all of your education and training. Please do NOT include copies of any certificates in your resume section. Only specific certificates are being asked for at the time of application (see below). You will be asked to produce all supporting documents later in the process. (1-4 pages)
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident with the legal entitlement to work in Canada (e.g. Passport, Birth Certificate or Permanent Resident Card)
- High school graduation transcript – Shall clearly show that you graduated high school in your province and show your subjects taken, and marks, in high
- NFPA 1001 level 2 certification from an accredited training agency
- A valid BC class 3 driver’s license with an air brake endorsement (or your Province’s equivalent)
- A driver’s abstract that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour (More than 6 points in the last 3 years, from the posting date, is considered excessive and does not meet this requirement)
- Eyes and vision assessment meeting NFPA 1582 6.4 (see page 3)
- Ears and hearing assessment meeting NFPA 1582 6.5 (see page 3)
- Valid first responders level 3 license with spinal & AED endorsements, or higher EMA licence, issued from a provincial board or college of
- Current (within the last 6 months) certificate of successful completion of the University of Victoria Firefighter Physical Fitness evaluation
- EVO certification from an accredited training agency
- An EMR, PCP or ACP licence issued by a licencing board
- Post secondary diploma or degree certificate
- Red Seal trade qualifications
- Fire related training (do NOT include copies, but rather list these in your resume)
Only those applicants meeting ALL of the minimum qualifications above will have their resumes reviewed.
Only those applicants selected to advance in the hiring process will be invited to complete the next steps, which may include:
- Behavioral Testing - You must achieve a passing score to be eligible to proceed
- Microsoft Office computer skills testing - You must achieve a passing score to be eligible to proceed
- Ergometrics FireTeam Aptitude Testing - You must achieve a passing score to be eligible to proceed
- Job Performance Testing – Ladder climb & tunnel crawl
- Medical examination to the NFPA 1582 standard by your physician
- Criminal record and vulnerable sector check
Applicants being invited to the testing portion of the competition will be notified by email before close of business on Tuesday September 17, 2019. Steps 1-4 above will be conducted on September 28, 2019 in Campbell River, time and location TBA. Interviews are tentatively scheduled during the week of October 7-11, 2019.