Career Firefighter – Greater Sudbury (ON) – 2024
Please refer to our Information Guide for more information about our selection process and recruitment timelines.
Once the position closes, all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will receive an email with a link to register for the aptitude test. Please check your junk mail folder for the email. Applicants will be required to pay a one-time non-refundable administration fee of $270.01 ($238.94 + HST). Proof of payment will be required at the time of the aptitude test.
Division: Fire Services
Department: Community Safety
Initial Reporting Location: Various Fire Halls
Job Status: Permanent positions
Affiliation: IAFF Local 527
Probationary Firefighter range of pay: $65,469.45 to $98,204.17 per annum
Firefighter 1st Class range of pay: $109,115.75 to $118,937.70 per annum
The start date will follow the selection process.
A criminal record check is required for this position and will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your criminal record check with your application.
Duties and Responsibilities
Main Function: Provide fire protection, medical aid response, auto extrication, water and ice rescue, other technical rescue, fire prevention and public fire education services, and assist as required in other emergencies.
Characteristic Duties: Under the direct supervision of a Captain and the general supervision of a Platoon Fire Chief.
- Respond to alarms of fire, medical aid calls and other calls for assistance.
- Perform various rescue operations.
- Drive emergency vehicles in all weather conditions, in a safe and secure manner, in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and the Division's policies and procedures.
- Prepare fire reports and information reports on emergencies.
- Control and extinguish fires using manual and power equipment such as axes, water hoses, ladders and hydraulic equipment.
- Administer First Aid and CPR as required.
- Ensure proper operation and maintenance of fire fighting equipment and cleanliness of all fire stations.
- Participate in the inspection, testing and minor maintenance of fire apparatus and equipment.
- Inform and educate the public on fire prevention and fire safety.
- Participate in ongoing training sessions to maintain a high level of physical fitness and competence regarding operational procedures.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- High school graduate (OSSD) or equivalent
- Valid Class “G” Driver’s Licence or equivalent with a clean drivers abstract*
- Valid Standard First Aid/Level C CPR certificate*
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
- At least 18 years of age*
- No criminal offences
* Proof will be required when requested during the recruitment process.
- OFAI Pre-Service Fire Fighter Education and Training Program Certificate
- NFPA 1001 – Fire Fighter I and II Certification
- Fire Service Related Course(s)
- Ontario Fire Fighter Certification (OFM)
- Career Firefighting Service
- Volunteer Firefighting Service
- Wildland Fire Fighting Experience
- Post-Secondary Education (Degree, Diploma, Certificate)
- Trade Certification
- Mine Rescue
If you are viewing this job posting through a website other than the City of Greater Sudbury's, please visit www.greatersudbury.ca/jobs to apply online.
We must receive your resume before 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 28, 2024. For those providing a French language resume, please also include an English version.
- Click on the Apply for Job button.
- Follow the step by step application process.
- Ensure you attached a cover letter and resume. Acceptable file types are:
- Once completed, review your application and click on the Submit button.
- Upon submission of your application, you will get a confirmation on the screen that your application has been successfully submitted. You will also receive an e-mail confirmation to the e-mail address on your profile.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
Live outside Canada or new to Canada?
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair, inclusive, and equitable work environment and our City welcomes qualified applicants from anywhere. To learn more about working in Canada, visit this webpage: Applicants Living Outside of Canada (greatersudbury.ca)
For technical difficulties, issues, questions or accommodations with an application made online email [email protected]