Work Experience Program (WEP) Firefighter – Merritt – 2020
We offer what Fire Departments are looking for; candidates with the right combination of life-experience, cutting edge knowledge and practical experience. Through our Work Experience Program (WEP), we are able to provide Fire Departments with a concentrated pool of pre-screened, highly-motivated, skilled and productive individuals. These Departments recognize savings on their recruitment costs, improved employee retention, and an appropriate employment match – this is a testament to our Program’s success.
A 12-month commitment to the Work Experience Program is required. Of course, those who attain career employment with a Municipal Fire Department during their Program are relieved from this commitment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The daily duties of a WEP firefighter is balanced between, but not limited to; Suppression of Fires, Rescue Response, Medical Response, Fire Prevention, Public Education, Company Level Fire Inspections, Pre-incident Planning, Station and Equipment Maintenance. WEP firefighters work a standard daytime shift routine, Monday to Friday and, duty coverage after-hours and on weekends.
• Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant.
• High School Graduate
• 19 years of age or older.
• NFPA 1001 – Firefighter I & II or equivalent certification.
• Consent to Criminal Record check
• In-depth personal record check.
• Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement, favourable driver’s abstract with no more than 3 demerit points.
• Doctor’s Medical Clearance or Certificate of Fitness; Fit Tech, CPAT or York.
• Commitment to a 12-month Work Experience Program.
• First Responder Level 3
• Occupational First Aid Level 3
• Emergency Medical Responder
• Primary Care Paramedic or equivalent
• Previous firefighting or other related work
• Technical, Trades or equivalent level
• Post-Secondary Academic Diploma
WEP firefighters live at the fire station. Bedrooms are based on double occupancy. Full laundry, cooking, washroom and lounge facilities are provided at no cost. In addition, Wireless Internet Access is provided.