Work Experience Program (WEP) Firefighter – Merritt BC – 2023
Being a WEP Firefighter is both challenging and rewarding. Our program offers you the ability to explore your interest in the Fire Service while developing your firefighting skills and work habits in preparation to advance toward firefighting as a career.
If you are looking at this post you are likely experiencing the challenge of applying for career employment; you have learned there are plenty of applicants for a limited number of positions – competition is stiff. What would make your application stand out from the rest?
We offer what Fire Departments are looking for; candidates with the right combination of life experience, cutting-edge knowledge and practical experience. Through our Work Experience Program (WEP), we are able to provide Fire Departments with a concentrated pool of pre-screened, highly motivated, skilled and productive individuals. These Departments recognize savings on their recruitment costs, improved employee retention, and an appropriate employment match – this is a testament to our Program’s success.
Duties and Responsibilities
A 12-month commitment to the Work Experience Program is required. Of course, those who attain career employment with a Municipal Fire Department during their Program are relieved from this commitment. The daily duties of a WEP firefighter are balanced between, but are not limited to; Suppression of Fires, Rescue Response, Medical Response, Fire Prevention, Public Education, Company Level Fire Inspections, Pre-incident Planning, and Station and Equipment Maintenance. WEP firefighters work a standard daytime shift routine, Monday to Friday and, duty coverage after hours and on weekends.
• Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant.
• High School Graduate
• 19 years of age or older.
• NFPA 1001 – Firefighter I and II or equivalent certification.
• In-depth personal record check.
• Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement, favourable driver’s abstract with no more than 3 demerit points.
• Doctor’s Medical Clearance or Certificate of Fitness; Fit Tech, CPAT, or York
• Commitment to a 12-month Work Experience Program.
• Criminal Record check
• First Responder Level 3
• Occupational First Aid Level 3
• Emergency Medical Responder
• Primary Care Paramedic or equivalent
• Previous firefighting or other related work
• Technical, Trades or equivalent level
• Post-Secondary Academic Diploma