Work Experience Firefighter – Creston – 2021
Being a WEP firefighter is both challenging and rewarding. Our program offers you the ability to maintain and enhance your previously acquired skills. While responding to emergencies your skills will be exercised in preparation for your career in the fire service. It is this knowledge and experience departments look for in their recruits. Allow us to assist you in your job search.
Duties and Responsibilities
A 12 month commitment to the work experience program is required. Of course, those hired to a career fire departments during their program are exempt from this commitment.
The daily duties of a WEP firefighter is balanced between, but limited to; Fire Suppression, Rescue, Medical Response, Fire Prevention, Public Education, Company Fire Inspections, Pre-fire Planning, Station and Equipment. Maintenance WEP firefighters work a standard daytime shift routine, Monday to Friday. On a rotational basis WEP firefighters provide duty coverage on weekends.
WEP firefighters live at the station. Full laundry, cooking, washroom and living room facilities are provided at no cost. In addition, wireless internet access is provided.
WEP firefighters will be remunerated for response to emergencies and attendance to regularly scheduled training.
In addition WEP firefighters receive a stipend to assist with living expenses. A complimentary pass to the Creston Rec Centre is provided to WEP firefighters to help maintain physical fitness and offer a form of recreation.
Enhancing your skills is our priority. Mentored by our experienced training and fire officers, you will participate in specialized WEP training evolutions and regular sessions with experienced firefighters. Specific to WEP firefighters instruction in resume writing and interview skills will be provided to set you a part.
Work Experience Program Entrance Requirements:
• Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant.
• High School Graduate.
• 19 years of age or older.
• NFPA 1001 - Firefighter 1 & 2.
• Criminal Record check.
• In-depth personal record check.
• Drivers License with Air Brake Endorsement, favorable driver's abstract with no more than 3 points.
• Doctor's Medical Clearance or Certificate of Fitness; Fit Tech, CPAT or York.
• Commitment to a 12 month Work Experience Program.
• Advanced level of First Aid Training
• First Responder Level 3
• Occupational First Aid Level 3
• Emergency Medical Responder
• Primary Care Paramedic or equivalent
• Previous firefighting or other related work
• Technical, Trades or equivalent level
• Post Secondary Academic Diploma