Paid on Call – Blue Mountains – 2022
Interested in serving your community through emergency response, education, awareness, and fire prevention services? The Town of The Blue Mountains Fire Department relies on volunteer members that are committed to delivering its services and ensuring public safety. The rewards of this role are vast; from personal satisfaction, growth and learning opportunities, to the opportunity to save lives.
The Fire Department plays an integral role in maintaining the highest level of personal safety and property protection to our community. Your commitment to the community as a volunteer member of the Fire Department is highly valued by the Town, its residents, visitors, and businesses.
Working as part of a team, under the direction of the Fire Services division, providing first response, fire suppression, rescue and specialized operations as required.
• Agility and strength to perform prolonged and arduous work under adverse condition as determined by the Candidates' Job Specific Physical Appraisal
• Ability to pass medical exam
• High School Diploma or approved equivalent
• Holder of a valid Class D licence complete with Z endorsement (must obtain within 2 years of hire)
• Ability to make decisions and to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations
• Able to communicate in English both in speaking and writing
• Possess good mechanical aptitude
• Strong written and record keeping skills
• Effective verbal and listening communication skills
• Able to work in a highly structured work environment and follow the rules, regulations and procedures
• Possess qualities necessary to perform team tasks
• Ability to perform tasks in confined spaces
• Ability to talk effectively with people in different situations
• Stress management skills
• Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
• Basic computer skills and ability to access a device to use for completing online training and communicating by email with the Fire Services department
• Not have any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted
Hours of Work:
• Available to respond as a volunteer Firefighter to emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (must attend a minimum of 50% of emergency responses)
• Weekly training sessions Monday evenings 19:00 lasting approximately 2 hours
• On call weekends and holidays approximately 1 in 4
Information for Interested Candidates:
A detailed job description and instructions on how to apply are available on the Town’s website, www.thebluemountains.ca under Town Hall - Employment Opportunities.
The submission deadline for applications is 4:30 p.m. on Friday, October 1, 2022
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Personal information provided by the applicants is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.