Probationary Firefighters – London – 2020
Fire safety education and prevention, which are the first two lines of defence, are the primary focus of our Fire Prevention Division; however, those responsibilities are also shared by all of our Fire Fighting Division Team members. Nonetheless, when emergencies do occur, fire related or otherwise, the Fire Fighting Division is trained and equipped to deliver fire suppression, auto-extrication, and defibrillation services, as well as specialty services such as Hazmat, Technical Rescue and Water/Ice Rescue. Other teams that make up the composition of our Fire Department are Training, Communications, Clerical, Apparatus and Stores Divisions... the individuals that train our staff, dispatch alarms, keep the fire apparatus running, ensure supplies are readily available, as well as assist in the overall organization and function of the Department.
The London Fire Department strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community. We are proud to be a part of public service, working with dedicated people who go the extra mile striving for excellence and the personal satisfaction of a job well done.
Applicants must be able to show successful completion of the below:
Proof of Grade 12 Diploma in the Province of Ontario, GED or equivalent. (Transcript with grades or diploma accepted as proof)
Current IFSAC and/or ProBoard Endorsed:
- NFPA 1001, Firefighter Level I
- NFPA 1001, Firefighter Level II
- NFPA 1072 (or 472), Hazmat Awareness
- NFPA 1072 (or 472), Hazmat Operations
- Other specialty rescue certifications endorsed by IFSAC or ProBoard will be considered an asset.
Special consideration will be given to Technician Level Certifications for the above.
- Valid unrestricted Ontario class D driver's license with a Z endorsement prior to application closing date on October 24th, 2019.
- Driver's Licence and/or road tests completed after the application deadline will not be accepted.
- Out of Province equivalent licenses will be accepted at the time of the application, however these must be converted to a valid Ontario DZ license within 90 days of hire.
- Must provide proof of a 3-year uncertified driver's abstract with application.
- Current First Aid, CPR & AED Certification is required.
- 'Emergency Care for Professional Responders' (previously known as EMR certification) will be considered an asset.
3 Year Uncertified Drivers Abstract
Please upload a copy of your original Driver's Abstract (a copy of a copy will not be accepted). If you already possess a 3 Year Uncertified Drivers Abstract, it must be dated from April 24th, 2019 forward. You can order the drivers abstract online via Service Ontario Website for $12.00. Any Driver's Abstracts dated after October 24th, 2019 will not be accepted.
Driver's Abstract's are to be uploaded to online application before the application deadline of October 24th, 2019, at 6:00pm EST.
Physical Testing Requirement:
Only York University Firefighting Physical Fitness Tests will be accepted (The City of London will not be accepting CPAT's).
Already Have a York University Firefighting Physical Fitness Test?
The City of London will accept your York University Firefighting Physical Test certificate and consider it valid with a date from April 24th, 2019 forward.
Need a York Fitness Test?
Candidates can schedule their own assessment directly by emailing [email protected]
Dates available are:
- September 21st, 2019
- September 22nd, 2019
- October 5th, 2019
- October 6th, 2019
- October 12th, 2019
Please email York Fitness ASAP as dates book up quickly.
Note: the cost of this test is the responsibility of the candidate.
Your York Fit Assessment must be uploaded with your other required documents to the online application before application close date no later than October 24th, 2019, at 6:00pm EST.
All candidates applying to the 2020 City of London Probationary Firefighter Recruitment and have paid the administrative fee within the application portal (once the portal is active on September 23rd, 2019 at 8:00AM EST) WILL write the pre-qualifying exam.
You will be required to bring the following to the exam:
- Photo ID
- Your Applicant ID
This will be emailed to you when your application is finalized. You will also see your Applicant ID displayed in the top-right of this portal once you've registered and logged in.
- The Exam will be held on November 3rd, 2019.
- All candidates are required to be available on this date.
- Your specific exam time will be posted on the Announcements tab the week prior to the exam.
- Your Applicant ID will be used as a confidential identifier when your marks are posted on this website.
- Exams will be held at the RBC Place (formerly known as London Convention Centre), located at 300 York Street, London, Ontario (Google Maps).
Exam Special Notes:
- We are not able to provide information regarding the type or name of the written exam.
- Underground parking is available for $5.00 at RBC Place
- Additional parking is located directly across the street from RBC Place on York St.