Probationary Firefighter – Medicine Hat – 2023
Now Hiring Probationary Firefighters
In Medicine Hat you'll find endless opportunities (and plenty of sunshine) to pursue that elusive 'work/life balance'. And here at the City of Medicine Hat, you'll enjoy countless opportunities to experience the great outdoors in the near-endless sunshine we're so famous for.
The City of Medicine Hat Fire & Emergency Service is searching for highly motivated, adaptable and communicative team players. MHFES wants to recruit four new probationary firefighters and create an eligibility list for use in the future. Our ideal firefighter will value integrity and demonstrate pride in being consistent, responsive, reliable and accountable in the utilization of his or her unique skill sets.
Our ideal candidate
* Reporting to a Platoon Officer, the Fire Fighter is responsible for fire suppression, rescue, medical and hazardous materials response, property inspection, as well as public education and prevention duties in Medicine Hat and surrounding region.
* The successful candidate(s) will possess the mental and physical abilities in accordance with the accepted industry standards for Fire Fighters and must demonstrate an aptitude for a career in fire, rescue and emergency services.
We thank all applicants; however only those invited for Aptitude Testing will be contacted.
Medicine Hat Fire and Emergency Services utilizes Advanced Response Teams that augment the initial responding units and provide an advanced level capability to manage the demands associated with Aquatics Rescue, Technical Rescue and Hazardous Materials incidents. Do you have what it takes? THAT'S INNOVATION MEDICINE HAT!
* Grade 12 Diploma or equivalency
* National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 Fire Fighter Level I and II certified with IFSAC/ProBoard seals
* NFPA 472/1072 Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations certified with IFSAC/ProBoard seals
* Current Standard First Aid, CPR Level C with AED
* A valid Alberta Class 3 License with air brake endorsement* with a satisfactory (6 demerits or less) current driver's abstract.
* Preference will be given to those applicants who have additional related experience, training, and education.
* This position has been identified as Safety Sensitive and requires the completion of a satisfactory pre-employment drug screen.
*NOTE: Out of province applicants must provide valid equivalency for Alberta Class 3 Q (air) with their application.