Probationary Firefighter – Hamilton – 2021
Do you have a desire to help keep your community Healthy and Safe? The Hamilton Fire Department is looking for individuals who have and can demonstrate the personal values of trust, honesty, integrity, compassion and empathy and can work as part of a team. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to perform a number of tasks including: fire protection and rescue services, fire inspection and public education within established policies and guidelines. With our continued commitment to an inclusive workforce, one of the strengths of our Department is the diversity of our people. We encourage you to join the Hamilton Fire Department as a Probationary Firefighter and experience one of the most rewarding, engaging and exciting careers you could choose.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Applying first aid to stabilize and prepare patients for transport to medical care facilities.
- Assisting with the development of pre-fire plans.
- Controlling hazardous materials to prevent injury or loss of life and to minimize property and environmental damage.
- Maintaining fire equipment.
- Operating fire apparatus such as pumpers, aerial devices, tankers, rescue trucks, and support vehicles within the structure of the Highway Traffic Act.
- Participating in fire safety inspections.
- Participating in public relations activities.
- Performing administrative duties.
- Performing communication duties including operating mobile and portable radios, computers, and other equipment.
- Performing fire ground operations under the direction of a supervisor.
- Performing rescue operations as part of a team and individually.
- Performing station duties.
- Grade 12 or approved equivalent.
- Must be able to work in a highly structured work environment and follow rules, regulations and procedures of the Hamilton Fire Department.
- Must be capable of learning and performing the various methods and techniques used in extinguishing and preventing fires and in rescue techniques.
- Ability to conduct routine maintenance and cleaning of all types of apparatus and equipment used.
- Ability to communicate in English both orally and written.
- Have the ability to make decisions and to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations.
- Must possess and maintain the physical strength and agility to perform arduous work and to competently operate all firefighting/rescue apparatus and equipment and all safety equipment under all types of adverse conditions frequently for prolonged periods of time.
- Must have the ability to acquire a general knowledge of hazardous materials, poisonous substances, arson detection, life safety systems and other job-related subjects and be familiar with the procedures associated with these subjects.
- Must possess the ability to work within confined spaces or high places.
- Must be able to obtain a valid fitness certificate and assessment upon request at your own expense.
- Must possess and maintain current certification in “Standard” First Aid with CPR Level “C”. (This must be clearly identified on your resume.) All “Standard” First Aid certificates must be issued by a training agency recognized by the Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB). Please refer to the WSIB website www.wsib.on.ca for approved providers. At time of assessment (which could be as early as days after the posting closes), you will be asked to provide “proof” that you possess the required certificate(s).
- Must be available to work rotating shifts.
- Must possess a valid Class DZ Ontario Driver’s Licence with zero demerit points and satisfactory to the City of Hamilton at time of application and must be maintained throughout the entire process.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES A VALID ONTARIO CLASS DZ DRIVER’S LICENCE AND PROOF THEREOF IS REQUIRED AFTER HIRE.
The City of Hamilton is aware that the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the ability to renew and obtain Standard First Aid with CPR Level “C” and Class DZ Ontario Driver Licences. Due to this, candidates are not required to have these licences at the time of application but must be able to obtain them prior to being successful in the role of Career Full-time Probationary Firefighter.