Firefighter – Victoria – 2023
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE received in the Human Resources Department by 4:30 p.m. on February 16, 2023 and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position.
Please review the Victoria Firefighter Application Guide found at http://Victoria.ca/vfdrecruitment and submit your application online at http://www.victoria.ca/jobs. Your application should include a resume, cover letter and all necessary documentation as specified in the Application Guide.
Duties and Responsibilities
This is a skilled and physically demanding position under the supervision of, and reporting, to a Company Officer and the Battalion Chief. This position is responsible for responding to fire and life hazard emergencies in accordance with standard operating procedures. These emergencies can involve minimizing distress and suffering, and frequently include numerous hazards.
Firefighters work closely with local schools, community organizations, and citizens to increase fire safety awareness and to help prevent fires from happening in the first place.
Firefighters maintain, clean, and test equipment ensuring its readiness for use, and may assist in the dispatch of apparatus and personnel. Working as a firefighter means continuous learning – exercises, lectures, practice drills and other forms of training are all part of the job.
Candidates must be able to fulfill the following duties:
- Respond to fire and rescue incidents, dangerous goods incidents and life hazard emergencies, which may require the removal of people from danger.
- Familiarize and safely operate all firefighting equipment and related rescue tools, including fire streams and other practices as directed through the Standing Orders and Operational Guidelines of the Victoria Fire Department.
- Achieve and maintain a First Responder EMA licence or higher and administer first aid to injured people.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 3 driver’s licence with air brake endorsement.
- Perform in-station duties as assigned.
- Perform routine and unscheduled maintenance of apparatus, portable and fixed tools and equipment.
- Perform routine maintenance at fire stations, including cleaning and housekeeping.
- Compose and write comprehensive reports.
- Attend training sessions as directed and maintain a thorough knowledge of all equipment and apparatus, firefighting techniques, Standard Operating Guidelines and Standing Orders of the Victoria Fire Department.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the topography of the City of Victoria including streets, block numbers, water distribution systems, and location of target hazard occupancies, such as but not limited to high-rise apartment buildings, seniors’ facilities and hospitals.
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 and 2
- Advanced medical or first aid training (FR, EMR, PCP/ACP, EMT)
- Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant Status
- Proof of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Valid British Columbia Class 3 Driver’s Licence with Air Brake Endorsement or equivalent
- A current driver’s abstract reflective of a safe and responsible driving history
- Prior to entering the hiring pool, candidates must provide proof of successful completion of the UVic or Alberta Fitness Certificate dated August 1, 2022, or more recent.
- Vision 20/40 corrected and normal hearing without aids. (Testing will form part of the pre-placement medical test)
To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs - only online submission will be considered. All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 pm on the closing date noted on the posting. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume.
At the City of Victoria, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.
If you require assistance, please email us at [email protected]