Firefighter/Medic – St. Albert – 2023
A career with a fully integrated fire and emergency medical service is exciting, fulfilling, diverse and challenging. Soon to be operating from four stations, St. Albert Fire Services members are ready to respond to any emergency 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The department's dedicated team of professionals saves lives and protects properties by responding quickly and effectively to suppress fires and provide medical and rescue attention in disaster and other emergency situations. We provide our members with ongoing professional development in firefighting, fire prevention, medical response, and search and rescue techniques.
If you thrive on teamwork, want to help those in need, and have the desire to contribute to your community, consider applying today!
You must hold one of the following minimum qualifications, as of the date you submit your application:
• Currently registered as an Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP)
• Currently registered as a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP)
• Hold a valid Alberta Class 4 driver’s licence and can provide a driver’s abstract demonstrating safe driving behaviour [six demerits or fewer] • Able to obtain, and maintain, a clear vulnerable sector police information check (required upon offer)
• Able to pass physical and medical standards, including eyesight and audible, as outlined in the NFPA standard
• A valid Alberta Class 3 driver’s licence and Air Brake (Q) endorsement are conditions of employment that must be obtained within the probationary period
• Out of province applicants pursuing a labour mobility application must be fully registered with the Alberta College of Paramedics by the date of the panel interviews (approximately mid-June 2023)
• Preference may be given to applicants who hold their current NFPA 1001 - Level I and Level II
Short-listed candidates will be invited to participate in our 2023 recruitment process which includes:
Phase 1: Application (April 11 - May 2, 2023)
Phase 2: Firefighter Aptitude, Medical Knowledge/OSCE and Job Skills Assessments (Held in St. Albert the week of May 15 to 19, 2023 - candidates will attend one session)
Phase 3: Firefighter Physical Fitness Assessment conducted by the University of Alberta (June 5 and 6, 2023)
Phase 4: Panel Interviews and Employment References (Late June/Early July 2023)
Phase 5: Pre-employment Medical Assessment (July 2023)
Phase 6: Offers of employment (Early August 2023)
Anticipated Start Date of approximately August 21, 2023
Please visit the Firefighter/Medic Recruitment page of the City of St. Albert Careers website for up-to-date information about the process and timeline: www.stalbert.ca/fire-careers
Please join St. Albert Fire Services at one of our upcoming in-person information sessions.
Dates: Thursday, April 20 or Tuesday, April 25
Time: Presentations on both evenings begin at 7:00 p.m. (approximately 90 min to 2 hour presentation)
Location: Fire Station 3, 100 Giroux Road, St. Albert
Attendees will have the opportunity to:
• learn about the department
• gain an understanding of the recruitment and selection processes
• connect directly with and ask questions of members of the recruitment team and current Firefighter/Medics
Even if you’re not ready to apply this year, this is a great chance to gain some insight into a career with a fully integrated fire and emergency medical service.