Firefighter – Maple Ridge (BC) – 2024
Working as part of a team, under the direction of management, full-time career firefighters work to efficiently achieve Fire Department goals. Effective operation is achieved through reliable firefighting performance, education, training, and inspection; as well as observing and complying with municipal policies and safety practices.
Firefighters work to perform a variety of skilled firefighting, medical, rescue and hazmat-related duties involved in the protection of life, property, and the environment.
To successfully serve the community and perform their job, Fire fighters are required to maintain a high level of physical fitness, mental resilience and must maintain overall health. Firefighters actively participate in the delivery of training and sharing of knowledge with other Fire Department personnel. Although assignments and responsibilities are generally performed under supervision, firefighters may be required to make decisions and work without supervision until a fire officer arrives on scene. Overall performance is subject to review, inspection, and evaluation by a senior officer of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
The firefighter performs a variety of fire and life safety inspection duties in community buildings, to ensure compliance with applicable codes and municipal bylaws. Firefighters conduct fire and life safety education sessions for groups and individuals throughout the community. They also participate in public relations and charity events when assigned.
Firefighters are involved in routine housekeeping and maintenance of fire department apparatus, equipment, and property related to the operation of the fire department. Firefighters are actively involved in continuing their education and advancing their skills and abilities through attendance of courses and regular training sessions.
- Canadian Citizen or legal entitlement to work in Canada.
- Grade 12 education.
- No conviction of a criminal offense related to the job duties of a firefighter.
- Must be a current paid-on-call member, a minimum rank of firefighter of the Maple Ridge Fire Department.
- Possess a minimum valid Class 5 Driver’s license with an *acceptable driver’s license abstract* (applicant cannot have more than 6 points in one year or 9 points in 5 years. They cannot have any alcohol-related offenses - i.e. impaired driving or 215 suspensions and cannot have any suspensions caused by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles.
- Physical Fit.
- Applicants must be Medically Fit. This is defined as the ability to pass an NFPA 1582 medical.
- Vision must meet the standards established by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles as a prerequisite for a Class 3 Driver's License.
ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
This application must be completed and submitted on or before 2300 hours, Friday, February 16th, 2024.
The application is to be completed online via the link. Ensure that all the required information is completed, and copies attached.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING WITH THIS APPLICATION:
- Ensure all sections of the application are complete
- Cover Letter and Resume
- Copy of Driver's License
- Copies of ALL current certificate (s) referred to in support of your application.
HOURS of WORK:
Average of 336 hours in a 56-day cycle. This position is intended to be Pool Employee to cover vacancy relief.
Current paid-on-call members of the Maple Ridge Fire Department are invited to apply for this opportunity by submitting an online application through on the Intranet – Internal Job Postings. Please complete all applicable areas of the online application in detail and attach your resume.
TIMELINE FOR THE HIRING PROCESS:
Stage 1 - Online applications accepted - Closing date 2300 hr, Friday, Feb 16th, 2024
Stage 2 - Firefighter Skills and Endurance assessment at Hall 4 Sunday, Feb 25th, 2024
Stage 3 – Interviews – Feb 26th- 28th, 2024
Stage 4 - Firefighter fitness testing March 10th, 2024 – Langara College VO2 max and physical
Stage 5 – March 11th-15th, 2024 – Fire Chief interviews - Conditional offer given (Contingent on successful medical)
Stage 6 – Medicals (Mar 15th - 16th), Criminal, and Reference Checks March 18th – 20th, 2024
Stage 7 - Start Date: April 22nd, 2024 (tentative)