Firefighter – Kawartha Lakes – 2022
Applicants who upload a resume and cover letter will still be required to complete the application form which includes fields for personal information, work history, education, and job-related questions. If you choose to upload your resume, please combine your resume and cover letter into one document.
Your application will be complete when you click the "Submit" button at the end of this process. You will receive email confirmation of its receipt.
Duties and Responsibilities
– Responsible for all firefighting duties necessary to save property, combat, extinguish and/or prevent fires, and for rapidly and efficiently performing these varied duties as required under emergency conditions, frequently involving considerable hazard;
– Performs fire ground suppression;
– Interprets, clarifies, carries out Officer’s orders;
– Selects and operates all necessary equipment, i.e. SCBA, pumps, ladders, nozzles, etc. as the situation requires following established procedures and guidelines;
– Performs fire ground rescues and performs a variety of rescue related duties;
– Drives and/or operates vehicles or equipment as assigned;
– Performs various maintenance duties to apparatus, equipment and departmental property;
– Participates in departmental training programs to be proficient and knowledgeable in fire fighting equipment techniques and procedures;
– Participates in fire safety inspections, performs public relations and education duties, and participates in charitable events;
– Provides emergency patient care so that patients are assessed and stabilized;
– Performs station duties, cleaning and maintaining station;
– Assists with on-the-job training of fellow firefighters, including volunteers;
– Follows all departmental guidelines, policies and procedures;
– Performs other duties as assigned; could undertake special projects which are unplanned and are consistent with the above functions and duties;
- A minimum Grade 12 or an equivalent as certified by the Ontario Ministry of Education
- A valid Ontario Fire Administration (OFAI) Candidate Testing Services (CTS) certificates for all stages of the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services program (OFAI CTS), including the swim test by time of application. Candidates must maintain valid certificates throughout the recruitment process until the time of signed offer and be prepared to submit all related certificates.
- To NFPA 1001 Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualifications Levels I and II, prior to date of application
- A current EFR certification
- maintain, in good standing, a minimum Class “DZ” Driver’s License for the Province of Ontario with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
- Superior interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively in a team environment and follow direction
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to make critical decisions quickly
- Comfortable working at heights and enclosed spaces
- Sound knowledge of fire fighting principles, practices and equipment gained through either formal training and/or practical experience
- Familiarity with equipment and apparatus related to fire fighting such as hydraulic equipment, pumps, self-contained breathing apparatus, communications equipment
- Meet core service and mandatory training requirements;
- The ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality at all times;
- Effective oral communication and strong interpersonal skills to deal with members of the public, staff, council and senior government;
- Exceptional customer-service skills to maintain cooperative/collaborative working relationships;
- Exceptional time-management skills with the ability to prioritize work loads and meet deadlines;
- The ability to support and project the values of the Corporation and the Fire Service.
Proof of all certificates requested in this job posting are required to be submitted as part of your application package. Any incomplete application packages will not be considered.