Firefighter – Halifax International Airport – 2023
At Halifax International Airport Authority, we are dedicated to building strong, vibrant communities through our commitment to connecting people and goods to the world. Our vision is to be Canada's best gateway airport, and our values drive everything we do. As a member of our team, you'll be part of a dynamic and dedicated community of professionals, working together to make a positive impact on the world around us. We prioritize the health, safety, and security of our people and passengers, and make decisions based on integrity and a sense of humanity. We are committed to sustainability, service excellence, and collaboration, and strive to go above and beyond in everything we do.
At HIAA, you will enjoy being part of an evolving global industry, with all the comforts that come from being one of only 200 employees. Employee engagement matters at HIAA -- in the last three years, an average of 91% of our employees said they would recommend HIAA as an employer.
Safety first: We go above and beyond to ensure a safe and healthy workplace for all our employees, providing comprehensive training, proper safety equipment, and a culture of collaboration and support. With us, you can trust that your well-being is always our top concern.
Caring supervisors and teammates: You'll join a team of supportive and caring individuals who are always ready to help each other succeed. Our supervisors and coworkers are invested in your professional and personal growth, and will work with you to provide guidance, support, and encouragement and professional development. With us, you'll always feel supported, personally and professionally.
Part of a larger community: You'll be part of a vibrant and dedicated community of professionals working together with one purpose: to safely and efficiently manage, operate and promote the region’s largest airport. Whether you're a customer service representative, an electrician, or a member of our management team, you'll play a crucial role on our team and as part of the Halifax Stanfield community. With us, you’ll be part of something bigger.
Competitive compensation and benefits: We believe in rewarding our employees for their hard work and dedication. That's why we offer competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package to support the physical, emotional, and financial well-being of our team. With us, you'll have access to industry-leading pay and benefits, including health insurance, a registered pension plan retirement savings plans, and wellness programs, to help you thrive both personally and professionally.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to a Platoon Chief, this position will participate in a training and development program to become a qualified Firefighter. Firefighters are responsible for providing specialized aircraft rescue firefighting and to ensure the protection of the airport community and traveling public. Firefighters are also responsible for providing medical first response support to the airport community and traveling public. Key activities include aircraft rescue, medical first response, fire prevention inspections and maintenance of equipment.
- Successful completion of secondary school or equivalent
- NFPA 1001 (Level 1 & 2) standard certification
- Recent experience as a Firefighter (including volunteer experience)
- Current Medical First Responder certification
- Valid Class 3 driver’s license with Air Brake Endorsement
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to operate in stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new skills and knowledge
Final Candidates will be required to successfully obtain/complete:
- Medical Clearance
- Physical Fitness Test (administered after medical clearance is received)
- Airside Vehicle Operators Permit and Radio License
- Restricted Area Identification Card
- CARs 323.14 – Personnel Training for ARFF
- Airport Firefighting experience will be considered an asset
- An acceptable combination of training and experience may be considered
- Valid Paramedic certificate/diploma may be considered an asset
- An eligibility list will be established as a result of this competition
HIAA offers an exceptional compensation, pension and benefits package; if this position interests you, please apply in confidence.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIAA is an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage women, Aboriginals, persons with disabilities and racially visible persons to apply and self-identify