Firefighter Eligibility List – Campbell River – 2022
The City of Campbell River is seeking to create a firefighter eligibility list in order to fill any upcoming vacancies, or short / long-term absences within the Fire Services Division.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a firefighter, reporting to a captain, you would perform a wide variety of technical tasks in support of the emergency rescue operations, fire suppression, specialized operations, hazardous materials and prevention functions. You would also perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the fire department.
- Complete and include this checklist (page 2 of 3 only)
- Cover letter – Outlining how your skills and experiences fit into the fire service, and why you are interested in the CRFD specifically (1-2 pages)
- Resume – Clearly showing your education and work experience. It shall clearly list all of your education and training. Please do NOT include copies of any certificates in your resume section. Only specific certificates are being asked for at the time of application (see below). You will be asked to produce all supporting documents later in the (1-4 pages)
- Have the legal entitlement to work in Canada (e.g. Passport, Birth Certificate or Permanent Resident Card)
- High school graduation transcript – shall clearly show that you graduated high school, show your subjects taken, and marks.
- NFPA 1001 level 2 certification from an accredited training agency
- A valid BC class 3 driver’s license with an air brake endorsement (or equivalent)
- A driver’s abstract that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour (More than 6 points in the last 3 years, from the posting date, is considered excessive and does not meet this requirement)
- Valid first responder level 3 license with spinal & AED endorsements, or higher EMA licence, issued from a provincial board or college of paramedics.
- Current (within the last 6 months) certificate of successful completion of the University of Victoria Firefighter Physical Fitness evaluation
- EVO certification from an accredited training agency
- An EMR, PCP or ACP licence issued by a licencing board
- Post secondary diploma or degree certificate
- Red Seal trade qualifications
- Fire related training (do NOT include copies, but rather list these in your resume)
Prepare your submission by creating a single PDF of your entire package, which shall be ordered as follows:
- ‘Application Checklist’ (this should be page 1 of the PDF)
- Cover letter (2 page maximum)
- Resume (4 page maximum)
- Proof of legal entitlement to work in Canada
- High School graduation transcript
- NFPA 1001 Level 2 Certificate
- Driver’s licence
- Driver’s abstract
- EMA licence
- Fitness test results
- Any certificates from the Preferred Qualifications list only
Only those applicants meeting ALL of the minimum qualifications above will have their resumes reviewed. Only those applicants selected to advance in the hiring process will be invited to complete the next steps, which may include:
- Behavioral Testing - You must achieve a passing score to be eligible to proceed
- Microsoft Office computer skills testing - You must achieve a passing score to be eligible to proceed
- Ergometrics FireTeam Aptitude Testing - You must achieve a passing score to be eligible to proceed
- Job Performance Testing – Ladder climb & tunnel crawl
- Candidates advancing past the interview process will be require to complete a vision, hearing, and a health See forms attached for reference.
- Criminal record and vulnerable sector check
- In-Station Assessment
Applicants being invited to the testing portion of the competition will be notified by email before close of business on Tuesday, August 23, 2022. Steps 1-4 above will be conducted on Saturday, August 27, 2022 in Campbell River, time and location TBA. Interviews are tentatively scheduled during the week of September 6, 2022.
Submit your application by emailing it to [email protected]