Firefighter – Burnaby – 2023
The Burnaby Fire Department is committed to providing the highest level of fire-related emergency services to protect the life and property of the citizens of Burnaby. In addition to attending emergency calls and extinguishing fires, Burnaby Firefighters are actively involved in public education and fire prevention in order to raise awareness about fire safety. We are now accepting applications from interested applicants wanting to join our team of dedicated professionals who are involved in making a positive difference in the lives of the people we serve.
Interested applicants must ensure they meet the following required qualifications by the application deadline and the required qualifications must still be current and valid by date of hire:
- Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant status
- Minimum High School graduation or equivalent
- Valid BC Class 3 Driver’s Licence (for automatic vehicles) without restrictions, with air brake endorsement
- NFPA 1001
- No more than 6 points on your safe driving record in the last 3 years at the time of your application
- No convictions of a relevant criminal offense for which a pardon has not be granted
- Minimum 2 years of work experience
- Current/valid First Responder Licence (formerly FR3) or higher preferred
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) is considered an asset
In addition to these attributes, we are looking for individuals who demonstrate integrity and honesty, reliability and motivation; who are continuously willing to learn and improve and who demonstrate a deep sense of commitment and responsibility to serving the public while working in a team environment.
- Interviews: January 29 – February 9, 2024
- 3-day Orientation: Group 1: March 9 & March 16, Group 2: March 10 & March 17, Group 3: March 11 & 18
- Physical Abilities Test: Walk-through March 23, Test: March 24, 2024
- Ride-Along: April 2 - 26
- Fire Chief interviews: May 6 - 10
- Recruit class start date: Anticipated for October 1, 2024
Please ensure your resume is updated before applying. At the time of application, you will have a series of supplementary questions to answer which will be used in assessing your candidature. We will not be able to make any changes on your behalf once you have applied. We kindly request you review the Burnaby Fire Department careers website prior to contacting People and Culture due to high call volume.
Please apply online by December 29, 2023.
At the City of Burnaby, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workforce that authentically mirrors the vibrant community we proudly serve. We consistently embrace diversity and endeavor to build an inclusive workforce that celebrates the richness of our community. We warmly welcome applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations, and life experiences to join us in shaping a more vibrant and equitable future together.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets will be required if short-listed.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a police information check.
Please contact People and Culture at 604-294-7303 if you do not receive a confirmation email within one hour of submitting your application online.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.