Firefighter – Airdrie – 2018
The City of Airdrie Fire Service provides high quality, timely fire services and medical co-response to enhance the safety and quality of life for our community.
The objective of this competition is to hire three full time firefighter positions as well as to create an eligibility list for future positions.
These positions involve working 24 hour shift rotations in a four platoon system.
- Provision of fire response
- Vehicle extrication
- Public Hazard Response
- Medical Co-Response
- Fire Inspections/Fire Pre-planning
- Public Education Program Delivery
- NFPA 1001 Level 1 and Level 2 Certification
- Class 3/4 Driver’s license with an air brake (Q) endorsement - No more than 6 demerits (at time of application)
- Valid Primary Care Paramedic (Former Emergency Medical Technician) registration with Alberta College of Paramedics
- Preference will be given to candidates who hold a valid Safety Codes Officer qualification
- Ability to excel in high pressure, stressful situations
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, influencing and conflict resolution skills
- Proven problem solving capabilities
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities in a team environment
- Strong ability to work under physically demanding and mentally stressful conditions
- Ability to work effectively and professionally in emergency situations
- Exceptional customer service focus
Applications without a current CPAT certification will be accepted.
The initial shortlisted candidates will be required to successfully challenge a written fire and medical knowledge examination, and the practical medical scenarios. A copy of a current Alberta College of Paramedics (ACP) registration must be presented at the written examination. The anticipated date for the written exams and medical scenarios is the week of January 21-25.
Once the written exams are completed the candidates selected for an interview will be required to have a current Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) or University of Alberta Firefighter Physical Assessment certificate. Time will be allotted throughout the interview process for the shortlisted candidates to obtain the certification.
Pre-employment medical and psychological screening will be conducted prior to offer.
These positions involve working 24- hour shift rotations in a four platoon system.
For further information on this posting please visit our City of Airdrie Fire Department web page - Recruitment & Training.
Candidates are invited to apply online.
Postings close at 9 p.m. on the closing date listed in the posting. We recommend applying as soon as possible as we are not able to accept late applications.
Please review the job competition carefully and be sure to attach any specifically requested documentation in the My Documents section of your application.