Fire Prevention Officer – Dawson Creek – 2022
The City of Dawson Creek invites applications for the position of Fire Prevention Officer. This is a skilled specialized technical, investigative and educational position in the application and enforcement of Municipal, Provincial and Federal fire prevention Bylaws, Regulations, Standards and Codes. The position involves inspection of all types of public and private buildings and structures to ensure compliance with fire prevention regulations and functional supervision of personnel assigned to conduct the same. This officer is involved in delivering fire safety and fire prevention programs for public, commercial and industrial occupancies. Duties are carried out within defined procedures but independence of judgment and action are exercised in day-to-day activities. Difficult problems and controversial decisions are referred to the Fire Chief or Deputy Fire Chief. During fire related emergencies, this officer may also be required to respond in a command and supervisory capacity.
Requirements for this position include, but are not limited to:
• Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent;
• NFPA 1021 Fire Officer II
• NFPA 1001 – FF II Certification;
• Extensive firefighting, rescue and emergency services skills;
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills;
• Experience in supervision of staff;
• Extensive knowledge of fire prevention, inspection and investigative methods procedures, bylaws, codes, acts and related regulations governing the work.
• NFPA 1031 Fire Inspection
• NFPA 1033 Fire Investigation
• NFPA 1521 Incident Safety Officer
• NFPA 1072 Hazardous Materials
• Fire Prevention Officer
• EMR Certification
A complete job description is available upon request.
Candidates should submit a résumé by emailing a pdf or word document to [email protected], with the job posting name and number in the subject line, no later than 4:30 pm on the closing date referenced above. The City thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Dawson Creek is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities whenever reasonably possible during the selection and employment process. You must be legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada to be eligible for this position. By applying for this position, you are giving permission for the City to contact your previous employers and references.