Fire Prevention Inspector – Mississauga – 2020
FireRecruitment.ca is Sponsored By
(Click image to view service.)
Our sponsors help pay for server costs, email services and help keep this a service free. If you find yourself needing this service, please help them help us. Thank you. – Steve
Would you like to become a sponsor? Contact us.
A Fire Inspector enforces Fire and Life Safety requirements of the City of Mississauga and the Province of Ontario by conducting comprehensive fire prevention surveys and inspections of all classes of buildings and occupancies. Where directed, they will determine the cause and origin of fires. The individual will act as an Assistant to the Fire Marshal under the provisions of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act and act as a Building Official under the provisions of the Building Code Act. In addition, the individual will participate in fire safety education programs for internal and external clients/customers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Division Chief, Inspections and Enforcement of Fire Prevention and Life Safety, the Inspector will be responsible to:
• Conducts fire and life safety inspections
• Conducts inspections under the Building Code Act
• Conducts inspections under municipal by-laws
• Conducts fire investigation related to cause an origin
• Evaluates, approves and enforces fire safety plans
• Performs public relations
• Review compliance alternatives for approval by Assistant Chief
• Initiates and participates in the prosecution of offenders
• Provides technical support and training for fire department personnel
• Performs administrative duties
• Maintains professional competencies
• Perform other duties as assigned
- Current hours of work involve a 4 day compressed work week (10 hour shifts).
- A Criminal Record Search/Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required upon hire at the candidate's expense, to verify there is no criminal record for which the candidate has not received a pardon.
Post-Secondary graduation from a university, technical or community college in Building Construction, Engineering, Fire Protection Technology or an equivalent combination of experience, training and knowledge to competently perform all aspects of this job.
Must have an excellent working knowledge of the following:
• The Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code, NFPA, ULC, CSA, and other applicable codes, standards and regulations,
• The technical aspects of fire protection and life safety systems including, but not limited to, fire alarm, voice communication, sprinkler, hose and standpipe, emergency lighting and power, fire pumps, water supply and fire suppression systems, fire fighters' elevators, smoke control measures, the storage, use and handling of dangerous goods, hazardous processes and activities, storage configurations of commodities, as well as building construction and occupant types.
• Excellent interpersonal skills are required with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, internal and external clients.
• Experience in achieving excellence in customer service and customer experience
• Must become: qualified as an NFPA Fire Inspector I and II, qualified as a Building Official for the purpose of conducting inspections under the Ontario Building Code, and become qualified as a Public Fire and Life Safety Educator for the purpose of teaching fire and life safety to residents and businesses within the City, and as NFPA Fire Investigator
• Must be willing to take required training courses which may be off site and out of City
• Must be proficient in the use of computer software including Microsoft Office Suite, CAD and the ability to develop proficiency in other corporate solutions.
• Must have a valid Ontario Drivers licence (min. Class G) with a satisfactory driving record and be willing to use own vehicle (mileage allowance provided) for day to day activities.
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
Learning Center *NEW*
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
Firefighter Aptitude Test Preparation
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…