Emergency Response Specialist – Parkland – 2023
At Parkland, our purpose is to Power Journeys & Energize Communities. We are a prominent independent supplier and marketer of fuel and petroleum products and a leading convenience store operator. As One Parkland team, we proudly serve diverse retail, commercial and wholesale customers across Canada, the United States, the Caribbean region, and South America. We power a growing family of locally known brands including Elbow River Marketing and Parkland Refining.
We recognize that diversity gives us an edge and inclusion propels us forward. We’re also a passionate team of down-to-earth achievers, committed to getting our customers, colleagues and communities further, faster. As such, we welcome talented individuals that have a variety of perspectives, backgrounds, and industry experience who will contribute to the success of our One Parkland team.
In this position, you will be working within a team that is responsible for the day-to-day emergency response activities such as fire, medical, oil spill/loss of containment, high angle and confined space rescue, HAZMAT, as well as inspecting/maintaining all the equipment associated with these tasks. To ensure safe and reliable operation of our facility, you will be performing compliance and safety audits in the field, delivering emergency response awareness training to manufacturing staff throughout the year and mentoring employees and contractors in emergency response and safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts pre-trips on all large emergency equipment that is assigned to the facility. This includes but not limited to, fire apparatus, quick response vehicles, emergency response trailers and 4X4 pickups.
- Inspects all small emergency equipment that is assigned to the facility. This includes but not limited to extinguishers, hydrants, monitors, hoses, nozzles and SCBA’s. Contributes to evaluation of new technologies and equipment to determine if appropriate for the facility.
- Participates in safety and emergency response related training including HAZMAT, rescue, fire, SCBA, boat, oil spill and emergency drills/exercises.
- Delivers safety and emergency response related training including HAZMAT, rescue, fire, SCBA, boat and oil spill. Provides recommendations to supervisor for additions to our training programs.
- Serves on facility teams as support for fire protection, emergency response and Incident Command.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for emergency response among the operating crews via discussion and emergency response plan development.
- Provides safety leadership & mentorship through conversation and visible actions.
- Resolves potential safety issues that may arise involving employees or contractors.
- Class 1, 3 or 5 with air endorsement drivers license
- NFPA 1001 or 1081
- NFPA 472 Operations level
- NFPA 1006 rope rescue and confined space rescue operations level
- Valid OFA 2 or 3 certificate
- PCOC. MED A3 and ROC-maritime (preferred)
- Must embrace positive change and is committed to help further advance our safety and continuous improvement culture at the facility
- Good communication skills through written, classroom teaching, and computer are essential for this position.
- Minimum Grade 12.
- 2 years as a volunteer or full-time structural or industrial firefighter (preferred)
- Our Performance-based Annual Incentive Plan, an annual bonus awarding your performance.
- A share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and 100% company matching.
- A flexible group benefit plan that offers health and dental coverage choices to meet the needs of each unique employee. Inclusive of life and disability insurances, Health Care and Lifestyle Spending options, and a supportive Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Participation in Parkland Pledge, an employee-driven charitable giving program.
- An employee referral program – earn up to $2000 for your referral.
- In-house learning and development opportunities, leadership training, international opportunities.
- Discount Programs and Educational Scholarship Programs for family members.
- Save on gas at our participating gas stations across Canada (Chevron, Fas Gas, Ultramar, and Pioneer).
- A safety focused work environment and ongoing safety training.
- Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Parkland regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas.
- Parkland Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.
- Please note that final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a confidential pre-employment background check which may include but not be limited to educational, criminal, credit, drug and alcohol and/or Fitness for Duty testing.
This position will close once a successful candidate is found.