Career Firefighters – West Kelowna – 2019
The City of West Kelowna is now recruiting to fill ten (10) career firefighter positions. Two (2) recruits will be starting immediately and eight (8) recruits will commence on September 1st, 2019 based on councils FTE approval. We are seeking qualified individuals to excel in a high paced and challenging work environment. Applicants must be physically fit, well-coordinated, highly motivated and willing to work as part of a team. Applicants must pass a physical fitness test, firefighter skills assessment and written firefighting knowledge exam.
Duties include firefighting, emergency medical care, technical rescue, pre-incident planning, mapping, fire inspections and other related duties. For full details and application instructions please read the Career Firefighter Information Package and the 2019 Career Firefighter Recruitment and Selection Process documents.
- Grade 12 education
- Valid Class 3 Driver’s License (with air brake endorsement)
- A driver’s abstract with no more than 6 points in the last 3 years, and no suspensions or prohibitions in the same time period
- NFPA 1001, Level I and II
- NFPA 472 Hazmat Awareness and Operations
- EMA first responder license
- Clean Criminal Records Check
- Previous firefighting experience
- Post-secondary education or training (i.e. academic, technical, trades)
- Significant focus on physical health, physically fit
- Strong team player
- Ability to work under pressure
- A history of volunteerism and community participation
These positions require shift work along with the ability to respond to emergency situations.